Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cupcake Crazy!! Cupcake Chic??

I believe the supposed cupcake craze began in New York when they featured the Magnolia Bakery cupcakes on Sex and the City. This is where this little cake went from being a cute children's treat to something special for everyone...since I lived in NY for a year I knew I just HAD to try these cupcakes...I remember it being a blistering cold winters day and yet there was a long line around the block filled with people of all ages and sizes waiting to buy these cupcakes.

This got me excited...with a line this long on a day so cold that despite my many layers I was shivering, I was sure it would be worth it. So we stood for a good 20mins before we finally got allowed into the store...this store is so popular they even have their own version of club bouncers...each time a few people leave they'll open the door and say "OK we can let 3 more in right now"....and finally it was our turn!

We looked at the different cupcakes with their baby blue, pale pink and Easter yellow frosting and I could not decide which I wanted. So I took one of each! I proudly walked out with my box filled with 6 cupcakes and everyone in line gave me an envious look...I headed to the corner took out a cupcake and sunk my teeth in...was it as amazing as I had imagined? Honestly...it was OK. Nothing entirely special...and the frosting was way too sweet...it was so sweet that I had a headache developing and I ate the rest of them along the course of the week without the frosting....
It was then that I learnt that even if a place is featured on a popular TV show/movie it doesn't mean that it'll be the most amazing food experience ever...in fact it can sometimes leave you feeling slightly cheated for following TV marketing...

I do have an upside to this story though...especially if you live in Malaysia!!

Just a week ago I stumbled across a new bakery at The Curve. ..one specializing in cupcakes and only cupcakes...this place is known as Cupcake Chic. After the Magnolia Bakery fiasco I had never really developed a taste for cupcakes...but curiosity got the best of me! I decided to walk in and just glance around...to see if anything would peak my interest...

I was immediately hooked! I just had to try something!They have an extensive menu offering 25 specialty cupcakes such as "Forget Me Not"- A French Lavender cake with Baileys frosting...."Peaches And Cream" - A Peach cake with Cream Chantilly and Almond Flakes...."Persian Love" - A Pistachio cake with Rosewater frosting....and even a local "Onde-Onde" - Pandan Gula Melaka cake with Coconut frosting!! Are you drooling yet??

I settled on a "Forget Me Not" as it had two of my favorite things Lavender and Baileys! As I took a bite all I could say was WOW! I devoured it and even licked off all the frosting on my fingers...Magnolia Bakery's cupcakes have nothing on these! The cake was light with a hint of lavender and the frosting was not too sweet and had a perfect melt in your mouth texture. It's been a few days since I've had them and I have an immense craving...I'm starting to wonder if addictive drugs have been added!

But honestly if you're looking for a light yet unique cupcake I would recommend Cupcake Chic...and for the record I'm not being paid to say any of this! I just really really like their cupcakes!!


Cupcake Chic @ The Curve
Lot GZF-4, Ground Floor
No. 6 Jalan PJU 7/3,
Mutiara Damansara
**The photos were not taken by me. I took them from their facebook group

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The packaging is gorgeous. Have yet to try them cupcakes, though. Someday...my cupcake will come.....