Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tiramisu

Dessert is generally not my forte but when I got invited for a dinner at Mark and Pin's place I decided that I would bring a dessert...of course I committed to this without having a clue of what I would make!

So to get some ideas I looked around my kitchen and noticed that I had some Kahlua leftover from a previous party...and in that moment I knew what I would make...

I had been holding on to my friend Elly's recipe for Tiramisu and this seemed like the perfect occasion to try it out. I tweaked the original recipe a bit by adding Kahlua instead of Brandy...Vietnamese Cafe Mocha instead of Espresso...and also by grating dark chocolate with roasted coffee bean pieces for the added coffee crunch...you can play around with it as well and make it your own.

If you're looking for a delicious dessert that makes you look good at any dinner party I suggest you try this:

Tiramisu

500 gr. Mascarpone Cheese At Room Temperature
1/2 cup Whipping Cream
4 Eggs, Separated
1 1/4 Cup Espresso Coffee Cooled
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Kahlua
24 Savoiardi Cookies also known as Ladyfingers
Dark Chocolate, Shaved
Crushed Roasted Coffee Beans

Beat the 4 egg yolks until light. Slowly beat in 1/2 cup of sugar, and then the mascarpone cheese. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold these gently into the cheese mixture. Now whip the cream until soft peaks form, and fold this too into the cheese mixture.

Add the Kahlua to the cooled coffee. Carefully dip in ladyfingers one at a time just until the outside of the cookie is barely damp. Arrange cookies side by side in a dish large enough to hold 12 cookies flat. After the first 12 are layered, spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle with enough shaved chocolate and crushed coffee beans to cover lightly, and repeat these layers once more topping the dish with the remaining chocolate.

Refrigerate several hours to set before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea to use the Kahlua! Love the soft voluptuousness of Tiramisu, I don't think there's anyone that could resist it!