Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Al Bait Lebanese Restaurant

Anytime I get that familiar craving for a creamy hummus, fresh baked lebanese bread, tangy tabboleh, and tender fragrant grilled meats I always head over to Al Bait a little Lebanese gem in the heart of Changkat Bukit Bintang, a popular tourist district. The owner, Houssein, is always present with his wife, Hala, and their little girl, Mawlaty, and that really makes it feel as though you've been invited to a Lebanese home for dinner.

The decor is simple and colorful with plush red velvet cushions, beautiful glittering sheisha pipes, bright blue walls and funky artwork. My favourite spot to sit is in the outdoor section where I can watch life stroll past as I tuck in to the array of tasty dishes.

I usually order the same dishes each time I'm here...they have never failed me and so I find comfort in knowing that these will be just as good each time.

The hummus here has the perfect chunky to creamy ratio drizzled with a good quality olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of spice. This is delicious with the thin Lebanese bread and if you run of the bread it is just as good scooped up with a spoon.

Tabbouleh is another love of mine...the zesty freshness of the parsley blended with lemon juice, onions and garlic is a very tasty healthy treat. Although I've realised that this is an acquired taste as many of my friends don't quite enjoy it like I do. When I make tabbouleh at home I tend to add in cous cous and make it a whole meal in itself.
The mixed grill dish here consists of lamb, chicken and beef...it is served with Zaatar on the side to dip the meat in as well as a serving of Lebanese bread. These meats are beautifully grilled and have a melt in the mouth consistency. I can never say no to a delicious meat platter!

I don't usually have dessert at Al Bait but the last time I was there I had a hankering for something sweet and so we ordered the only dessert that was available for the evening.

It was a fruit plate with an added twist...there are little squares of Lebanese bread put on the grill with a chocolate spread that tastes a lot like Nutella. What can beat melted chocolate and fruit? Delicious!

Al Bait Lebanese Restaurant
Jln. Changkat Bukit Bintang
Tel: 03 2141 9007

6 comments:

Vivien said...

how is the pricing, i had lebanese food in Starhill-Tarbush before, love those hummus, all the food are really appetising

Chefspiration said...

The pricing is quite reasonable...I recommend sharing a few dishes between a few people...cuts the cost and there is more than enough food...the food here was shared between 2ppl and we were stuffed!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I've always walked past this place, but never entered! I love tabouleh and always make it at home. Thankfully, my hubs loves it too! Ok...will try this place one day.

Life 2.0 said...

Your meal looks so yummy and authentic. In Dearborn, Michigan, we have the largest Middle Eastern population outside the Middle East and most expats from Lebanon. After reading your post, we will make the drive out to Dearborn to have our fix.

Life 2.0 said...

Your meal looks so yummy and authentic. In Dearborn, Michigan, we have the largest Middle Eastern population outside the Middle East and most expats from Lebanon. After reading your post, we will make the drive out to Dearborn to have our fix.

Chefspiration said...

LL - Try it out! You'll love it :) Tabbouleh is delish...I could have it all the time!

Life 2.0 - Hope you get your fix! Lebanese food is one of my favs!