Thursday, July 09, 2009

Smoothie Craze

I've been on a bit of a smoothie craze lately...Everyday for the past two weeks! There's something comforting about starting each day with a glass of goodness...and it's so easy to make.

I just thought I'd share some of my favourite combinations. I didn't measure out the ingredients when I made my smoothies...I just kinda added stuff if it was too thick or too thin. Play around with it and get it to the consistency that you will enjoy. Just pop everything in a blender...blitz till well combined and enjoy. Easy peasy!

Dragonfruit Banana Smoothie (Pictured Above)
The bright purple dragonfruit is so pretty and not to mention packed with vitamin C, high in fibre, and low in calories. It is also rich in phytoalbumins which have antioxidant properties. Bananas also have many health benefits and you can check out a full list here.

1/2 Dragonfruit
1 Banana
1/4 Cup Soy Milk
3 ice cubes

Peanut-Choc Oat Smoothie
This tasty smoothie gives you a protein and energy boost. Peanutbutter contains fairly high quantities of dietary fiber which helps in regulating both blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Pure cocoa powder
is an excellent source of catechins, which are polyphenols of the flavanol grou that are believed to protect against heart disease, cancer, and various other medical conditions. The oatmeal supplies an additional protein boost and also is a good source of many nutrients.

1 Tbs Peanutbutter
1 Tbs Cocoa Powder
1/2 Banana
3 Tbs Uncooked Instant Oatmeal
1/4 Cup Skim Milk
3 ice cubes

Berry Yoghurt Smoothie
This thick creamy smoothie is absolutely berrylicious! More studies are showing that blueberries play an important role in a healthy diet. They provide a great boost of antioxidants and aid your mind in aging gracefully. Strawberries are also high in phytonutrients and antioxidants as well as vitamin C. Yogurt is a great way to have calcium in your diet and it promotes the growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract.

1 Cup Frozen Blueberries
1 Cup frozen Strawberries
1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
Splash of Skim Milk
1 Tbs Honey

Play around with fruits in your fridge...there are so many wonderful combinations you can make. I haven't bought mango recently but I'm eager to make a mango yogurt smoothie...mmm!

6 comments:

Rebecca Saw said...

i so agree! nothing better than to put in fruits into the tummy in the morning!
I think the peanut b one's the yummiest!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a great idea to have dragonfruit as a smoothie! It's such an amazing looking fruit too :)

Anita said...

What a brillant colour smoothie!!!! Thanks for the suggestions, they all sound really good... especially the chocolate and peanut one :)

Wilson Ng said...

Hi alex, Wilson here... Mind to link me up?

http://PlacesAndFoods.com

Will try one of your recipes one day... when im free... :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE the purple dragonfruits! But I can't find it here :-(
I don't really like the oats in smoothies though...don't you find it gives it a rather gluey texture?

Chefspiration said...

TheNomadGourmand - hehe they're all so yummy! I love my smoothies :)

Lorraine - It happened because I had half a dragonfruit sitting in my fridge and figured I should use it.

Anita - I adore the color! It's just so fun.

Wilson - Sure! I'll add you in :)

BurpandSlurp - I don't find it gluey...infact it gives it a nice thicker texture and makes it feel more filling. Are you putting the instant oats in dry? or cooked? I put it in dry...