Friday, January 18, 2008

Wholemeal Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake

I made this before the xmas break but I didn't get a chance to post it up...I actually found the recipe on a blog(can't quite remember which one now) and it sounded yummy!! It was rich and very tasty with a strong hazelnut flavor...almost like a nutella cake...someone even asked me if he could order some...but I don't have enough confidence in my baking to actually sell my stuff :P

Oh and the photo doesn't do it any justice! Lighting was off and stuff...


Here's the recipe:

WHOLEMEAL CHOCOLATE & HAZELNUT CAKE

170g unsalted butter, room temperature
170g light muscavado sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp milk
170g wholemeal flour, sifted
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
200g best quality chocolate, chopped quite finely
110g ground hazelnuts
30g chopped hazelnuts
-Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease and line a 18cm/7inch cake tin. Use a spring form if possible to make the cake easier to remove.
-Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating between each addition. Fold in milk, sifted flour and baking powder, mixing them well. Add 125g of the chopped chocolate along with the ground hazelnuts and fold in again. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle the remaining chocolate and chopped hazelnuts on top.
-Bake in the centre of the oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (you'll have to put the skewer in at an angle so you can distinguish between the molten chocolate topping and wet cake batter!) After the first hour, cover the cake with a sheet of greaseproof paper to stop the nuts from burning.
-Leave to cool slightly in the tin then carefully release the clip and leave to cool further on a wire rack. Serve warm on a plate with cream or cold from your hand.
Makes 1 x 7inch cake serving 6-8 (but more like 6).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Alex!!

Absolutely Love this recipe and am looking forward to try it out this weekend. Where do you get Muscavado sugar? does the cold storage in bangsar village sell Muscavado sugar??

thanks!

Chefspiration said...

Hey Karen,

It's a great recipe! And actually I used normal brown sugar when I made this cuz I couldn't find muscavado sugar...bangsar village might have it...I can't tell you for sure tho....good luck with the cake and let me know how it turns out!

:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex,
Made this last nite.. absolutely yummy!!
thanks for the recipe!

Chefspiration said...

Yay! I'm glad to see that you tried it and it turned out well :) sounds like you've been having a dessert feast over at your place!

Anonymous said...

oh my colleagues have been my test subjects and enjoying the fruits of my labor!! heheh