I've eaten tempeh in some Malay and Indonesian dishes but have never actually worked with it myself. I turned to Heidi's blog for inspiration and when I saw her recipe for a TLAT( Tempeh Lettuce Avocado Tomato) sandwich... well truthfully...when I saw the photo of her sandwich which looked incredible I knew I had to give it a try...I didn't have the original recipe on hand but I knew what needed to be done in general so my recipe might differ a bit from the one on her site.
Tempeh is a great meat substitute and it tastes wonderful...it is highly nutritious and fat free...it is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form. Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean gives it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber and vitamins compared to tofu.
Tempeh also takes on marinades very well...I'm sure I can play around with different marinades to make all sorts of sandwiches with it! R is already asking if I can make a bulgogi marinade to make tempeh bulgogi burgers...delish!
Tempeh cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
2 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
pinch of Salt
1. Mix together the soy, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar in a bowl
2. Line Tempeh slices at the bottom of a large tupperware and pour the marinade over. Let this sit for as little as 30minutes or leave it overnight in the fridge for a stronger flavour
3. Slice the cherry tomatoes and toss them with the oil, brown sugar and salt. Put them on a baking sheet and into the oven at 150 for 45minutes or until they begin to shrivel
4. Mash a whole avocado and add a pinch of salt and pepper to it for taste
5. Toast some good bread for your sandwich (I used a Multigrain and Nut bread)
6. Take the tempeh out of the fridge and heat a pan on medium. Add the tempeh slices and cook till it's brown(around 3mins per side). Leave it on longer if you want a crispier tempeh
7. Assemble your sandwich: spread the mashed avocado on one slice of bread. Add some shredded lettuce on top and then top that with the roasted tomatoes. Add a slice of tempeh top with another slice of bread that has some avocado slathered on and enjoy!
**I didn't take the photo above...I stole it from cyberspace. By the time I had my sandwich it was too dark and so I couldn't take pretty photos of it.