Monday, January 14, 2008

Fennel, Parmesan and Crispy Bacon Salad


The Amateur Gourmet book has a lot of good recipes and since I was craving a salad this past weekend I thought I would try one from the book. Adam does a raw fennel parmesan salad which I found interesting. Not many people I know have tried fennel and those who have don't really like it due to it's licorice taste. Fennel is part of the celery family and is especially good on an upset stomach. As unusual as the taste can be to some this salad is fresh, crisp, and hearty at the same time.

Adam tops his with prosciutto...I didn't have any on hand so I decided to substitute it with crispy bacon pieces. Marinating it with the lemon and parmesan cuts a lot of the strong licorice taste.

I know fennel is a bit hard to find here in Malaysia...But if you happen to come across it you might want to try this out! It is extremely simple...takes about 5 mins to prepare and tastes phenomenal.

1 bulb of fennel

3 tablespoons of lemon juice

Olive oil to coat

Salt and Pepper for Taste

1 handful of shaved parmesan

3 strips of bacon fried till it is crispy

- Thinly slice the fennel and toss with lemon juice, olive oil, parmesan and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and put in the fridge to marinate for an hour
- Fry the bacon till very crisp and crumble it over the salad when you're ready to eat

Enjoy!
**I found the photo on google images didn't manage to take my own photos yesterday afternoon

No comments: